You’re probably familiar with the old expression, you learn something new every day.
Well, I want you to imagine something for a moment. Imagine that you have the kind of work environment where people actually do learn something new every day. The kind of work environment where your team members are constantly growing, developing, broadening their professional skillsets, and increasing their personal bandwidth.
That may sound idealistic; perhaps it is. But here’s the thing: It’s an ideal worth pursuing. That’s because your team members want opportunities to learn, grow, and develop. They want to feel like they’re getting better, not becoming stagnant. They want to be assured that you’ve invested in them and are helping them be the best possible versions of themselves.
I say all that to say this: Learning and development opportunities are coveted by your employees, and when you provide them, it can boost your employee engagement numbers.
How to Boost Engagement Through Learning and Development
Here are some guidelines you can follow as you seek to boost engagement through learning and development opportunities.
- Start with the onboarding process. As you bring new recruits into the fold, make sure they are fully briefed on their responsibilities, on the skills they’ll need, and on the opportunities they’ll have to grow.
- Encourage cross-department collaboration. Nothing helps people learn more than the chance to see things from someone else’s point of view.
- Weave learning and education into your company values and mission. Affirm together, as a team, that you’re committed to continually broadening your minds.
- Bring in a consultant to speak with you about the kinds of training programs you could offer in your workplace to help boost employee engagement.
- Offer as much flexibility as you can to team members who wish to pursue continuing education classes in their spare time.
- Encourage all of your team members to think outside the box, and to look for creative solutions. Don’t let anyone be afraid to try new things, even if it means potentially failing.
These are just a few ways you can build a culture that values learning… and hopefully, these steps will help you chart some improvement in your engagement numbers, too.
Let’s talk more about the role that continuing education can play in your business. Reach out today and let’s chat! You can contact me at www.rickgoodman.com or call 888-267-6098.
What is a solutions-oriented leader? Take the free Solutions-Oriented Leader Assessment now
and claim your Comprehensive Guide to Achieve Success. Dr. Rick Goodman’s Solutions-
Oriented Leader book is now available to order online. In this first-of-a-kind, comprehensive
guide, author Dr. Rick Goodman leads you through the everyday challenges of the modern
workplace while providing you with easy-to-implement solutions to achieve world-class results!