The Art of Successful Negotiation
Unleash Your Negotiation Potential:
Empower Yourself with Practical Approaches and Tools
This hands-on two day seminar gives you a step-by- step guide to effective negotiation. You must identify the problem, understand it from the other’s perspective, generate alternative solutions and select a solution that benefits both sides. All parties need each other to achieve their goals. Negotiation focuses on solving the problem and closing the gap between what both parties want.
The Art of Successful Negotiation Material:
Module 1: The Process of Win-Win Negotiations
- Understanding the win-win or problem-solving approach to negotiation
- The two elements of any negotiation
- Negotiation strategies: hard, soft, problem-solving
- Reaching an agreement is not the only goal
Module 2: Understanding and Utilizing Basic Negotiation Concepts
- Organizational needs
- The influence of the individual negotiator’s needs
- Alternate currencies
- Three phases and five stages in negotiation
- Planning your negotiation and putting it all together
Module 3: Communication Skills for Negotiators: Rapport Building
- Active Listening Skills
- Capturing the essence
- Paraphrasing content
- Reflecting emotions
- Body language
- Understanding Different People Styles
- Understanding your own style
- Recognizing a different communication style in another
- Flexing your behavior to accommodate the other person’s style
- Matching Behavior
- Body, facial, vocal
- Acknowledgement and Validation Skills
Module 4: Communication Skills for Negotiators: Speaking Compellingly
- Managing Your Voice in Negotiation
- Speed, pitch, volume, and intonation
- Use of Silences and Pauses
- When and how long to pause
- When to stop talking
- Language Skills
- Using neutral language
- How to use words and phrases to move the other party toward you
- Questioning Skills
- Asking questions
- Open ended questions and their uses
- Closed and definitive questions and their uses
- Responding to questions
- How to respond
- When not to respond to a question
- Assertiveness Skills
- When and how to assert yourself
- Different kinds of assertiveness
- Drawing boundaries
- Expressing displeasure
- Nonverbal Communication
- Body, position, face, eyes, head
Module 5: Meeting Special Challenges
- Dealing with tactics
- Overcoming deadlock
Module 6: Follow Up – Holding the Agreements in Place – The Forgotten Element in Negotiations
- Recognizing the importance of follow-up in maintaining successful agreements after negotiations.
- Learning proven strategies and techniques for effectively holding agreements in place.
- Understanding potential challenges and obstacles that can arise post-negotiation and how to address them.
- Developing an action plan for ongoing communication, monitoring, and reinforcement of negotiated agreements.
Module 7: Applying the Model to Your Own Negotiation
- Applying the negotiation model learned throughout the course to real-life negotiation scenarios.
- Analyzing and identifying key elements and variables in your own negotiation situations.
- Practicing the step-by-step guide to effective negotiation in a personalized context.
- Receiving personalized feedback and guidance on how to improve and refine your negotiation skills based on your specific challenges and objectives.